A degree of stress

7/26/2017


Let's talk about stress. Specifically stress that comes along with studying at university. I'm going into my third year at BIMM Manchester in October, and before i get anywhere near to that month i want to try and cope with stress a bit better than i did in my second year.

And when i say a bit, i mean a lot.

The last few months of second year were hell. Hell like I've never seen or felt before. Most of my  assignments are coursework and essay based, except for my Music Theory exam. I find this structure so much easier as i get very very nervous in exams, end up freaking out and forgetting everything. The downside and upside to coursework is that you and you alone are in control of how much work you do and when you do it.

At the start of the year i had my work under control. I was on target with my planning, reading, note taking and had even started writing some of my essays. Then February came and it had all gone to pot. I was dealing with a lot of external issues, so my assignments took a back seat.


You know when you put something off for so long, even if you want to start it or give it a go again you just can't. Well that's what happened with all of my work.

I tried. I did really try.

I made myself get up early and go to the library or a cafe but nothing. I tried staying up late to do it in the dead of night but nothing. Before I knew it I had just over one month left of uni and the majority of my assignments were due in in that period and with that along came several breakdowns. 

I'm not that emotional, I don't cry very often, and I've never really had a melt or break down before. So having so many in the space of a month wasn't fun. I was having early mornings and late nights. Spending every moment I could at my desk or in the computer rooms at uni. 



Once the majority of my essays were submitted the last thing I had to do was a composition portfolio, which meant i couldn't do the work at home, i had to go into uni to use their computers to do it. There were nights where i'd be leaving Manchester after 12 am (it takes just over an hour to get home by bus/walking).  It was exhausting and took its toll on me. 

However, one upside to having to go into uni to do the work, was that i was around people who were going through the same thing. It helped with my motivation, but also helped mentally having some friends around to laugh and talk to. 










My Tips (to you and to myself):

Tea breaks

Find a cute cafe and get yourself a nice beverage. If you're like me most of the time you enjoy a bit of peace and quiet, so spending this little break by yourself is the perfect thing to help you to relax. Though I also think that sometimes to relax you need a distraction, so gets some of your mates to come along with you and take time out of your own thoughts by chatting about anything other that assignments! 

Make or find yourself a great playlist 

I love working to music. The right playlist can really help with concentration and getting into an essay writing zone. I find Spotify has loads of really good pre-made playlists, its also a really good way of listening to new music and musicians you've never listened to before.

Plan

Get yourself a planner and plan like there is no tomorrow. When it go to the point where nearly all my work was due in, planning saved my life. I distributed the workload and made sure I was spending enough of the remaining time i had left of assignments.

But this year I want to actually get a solid plan down before i only have a few weeks left... 

I'm changing that line to I WILL have a sold plan before I only have a few weeks left!


We can all have moments where we want to quit. Moments where the stress and anxiety gets all too much to handle. But life and everything that comes with it, the good, the bad... It's all worth it.

October will be here before I know it.

But I know now, I can handle even the hardest of moments, as I'm sure there are many more to come.

> Insert "vegan" cheese here

I'm going to end this post with saying... We can do it.




Photography: Jack Gracie - https://www.instagram.com/jackgraciephoto/

Location : Manchester Central Library -The Reading Room 





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe